3.9.09

Quick Thoughts on September's Boxing Schedule

We're in a bit of a holding pattern right now as far as big boxing weekends go, as there's nothing of interest on Labor Day weekend. After that though, September is shaping up to be a pretty busy month. Here are my quick thoughts on each Saturday for the rest of the month:

September 12 - Mikkel Kessler vs. Gusmyl Perdomo, Andre Ward vs. Shelby Pudwill (Showtime); Ivan Calderon vs. Rodel Mayol (PPV)

All I have to say is that with all the anticipation that Showtime's Super Six World Boxing Classic has stirred up, Kessler and Ward better take care of business in these tune-up fights. You have to think some parties (say, HBO) wouldn't mind a stumble before the thing even starts, but I think I can safely speak for all true boxing fans and say I hope both gentlemen have quick nights.

As for Calderon, I didn't see his first fight with Mayol (stopped after six rounds due to a cut caused by an accidental headbutt), but it's clear Iron Boy had his hands full. He's always been pretty amazing to me because his lack of power means he can almost only win on the cards - and he always does. At 34, you wonder if his long streak of excellent boxing is about to come to an end.

September 19 - Floyd Mayweather vs. Juan Manuel Marquez, Chris John vs. Rocky Juarez (PPV)

I'm not sure if I can remember a huge fight in the last few years that had more questions surrounding it that featured two guys who are still at or near their primes than Floyd-JMM. Right now I'm not sure I can even say with any confidence who the aggressor will be. I hate picking against both guys, so come fight week it's going to be a tough call. I'm leaning toward Floyd right now.

I like John in the rematch with Juarez, though it will be interesting to see who is more fired up: Chris because he feels like he was jobbed in Houston, or Rocky because everyone still thinks he can't win the big one.

September 26 - Vitali Klitschko vs. Chris Arreola (HBO)

There's no reason not to think Vitali will win, perhaps easily. Does Arreola have a chance? I can't say until I see how seriously he's taking his conditioning. And given his history, there's not much reason to be optimistic.

Posted by The Franchise

No comments: