14.5.09

Andre Ward vs. Edison Miranda: Predictions

The Franchise says...

Other than two superstars facing off against each other, Saturday's super middleweight fight between Andre Ward and Edison Miranda is the kind I like best: a young fighter trying to make the jump from prospect to contender gets a stiff test from a dangerous veteran.

And make no mistake, Miranda is dangerous. The powerful but somewhat wild Colombian was thought of as a potential middleweight champion until two years ago when he was knocked out by Kelly Pavlik.

He still has only three career losses (that one to Pavlik and two to Arthur Abraham), and even though it seem like he's been around for a while, he's only 28. If Miranda lands a solid one on the relatively untested chin of his foe, it could be lights out.

It also feels like Ward should have progressed further since his 2004 Olympic gold medal, but he's been handled cautiously and had to take a few months off several times due to nagging injuries. There's no question that he has a lot of tools, but he hasn't fought anyone yet who's made him put them all into use.

Andre went the distance his last time out, so we know he can go 12 rounds if necessary. That's important because I think his boxing skills favor him in a longer fight, and despite his edge in experience, Miranda has only fought 12 rounds twice in his career.

It does worry me a bit when I see Ward quoted saying he wants to win in spectacular fashion, because getting into a firefight with Miranda may not be such a wise idea. Certainly you'd expect that Ward will have to weather a storm at some point, probably in the early rounds.

This pick is being made largely on faith, and I wouldn't bet the house on it, but I like Ward to emerge with a hard-earned but unanimous decision.

Uatu says...

The skills will pay the bills. I believe Ward will win on points, and I also have the sad feeling that he may bore us in doing so. I hope not, but with his somewhat shaky chin in the past and his recovery from injuries, I see Ward trying his best to stay out of the fray.

Ward by decision.

Spartan117 says...

Call me crazy but I like Miranda's chances in this fight.  His 3 major losses are from 2 of the top fighters in their respective classes.  Ward's chin will be tested tonight.  If he can take the punishment then he'll be able to out-point Miranda but I think Miranda's strength will take him to a late stoppage victory.

Miranda by late stoppage.

Posted by The Franchise

No comments: